MacBook Prose

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Mac Software - What I have used so far

Since I switched over to my MacBook Pro notebook last month, I have been tried to spend time getting used to the new software that comes as part of OS X and that is available for download.

So far, I have used:

Mail - While not so straight forward to set up with a Hotmail account (a Hotmail plus account is required), there were no such problems with my Google Mail account. Instructions on how to set up were easily available and everything works fine there.

Safari & Firefox - While I have mostly used Safari, I have noticed that some sites/web apps work better on the Mozilla based Firefox (Blogger included.....)

iCal - Although limited to personal use, I have started to update my iCal on a regular basis

Adium - As outlined in my last post, this has been a recent addition to my MacBook Pro as a replacement for Microsoft's Messenger for Mac. It does the job of an IM app very well nicely.

OpenOffice - A cost effective (i.e. free) alternative that provides me with the ability to review and edit Word and Excel files, both of which have opened fine after emailing them to PC using colleagues and work contacts. To be fair, I have not really given OpenOffice a real good try out, but it certainly seems to do the job.

I have fooled around with some of the other apps that come installed on OS X, and also just downloaded CSS and HTML editing programs ( I am trying to learn about building websites) but have not really tried these out yet.

Happy MacBook Pro - ing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home